A mighty Sweet Potato Salad with a fabulous honey lemon dressing. Terrific combo of textures and flavours, serve this as a meal or an impressive side!
- 1kg / 2 lb sweet potato , cut into 2cm / 4/5" cubes (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 200g/ 7oz baby spinach (or rocket/arugula)
- 1/2 red onion , finely sliced
- 3/4 cup sliced almond , toasted
- 90g/ 3oz feta , crumbled
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups cooked wild rice , warm (Note 2)
Honey Lemon Mustard Dressing:
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp extra olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove , small, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 390°F.
- Shake Dressing ingredients in a jar.
- Toss sweet potato with olive oil, salt and pepper, spread onto tray.
- Roast for 20 minutes, flip, then roast for a further 5 minutes until golden on edges.
- Place baby spinach, onion and half almonds in a bowl. Drizzle with 2 tbsp Dressing, toss.
- Drizzle warm rice with 1 tbsp Dressing, toss.
- Spread spinach on serving platter. Top with rice, then sweet potato and cranberries.
- Drizzle with remaining Dressing, then top with feta and remaining almonds. Serve!
- Sweet Potato alternatives - pumpkin or butternut squash would be amazing here!
- Wild Rice - feel free to sub with any other rice or grains. To cook wild rice - bring large saucepan with plenty of water to the boil. Add 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice, adjust heat so its simmering. Simmer for 35 minutes or until rice "bursts" (to reveal light brown insides) and are cooked through (wild rice is firmer than normal rice, uncooked wild rice is hard like normal rice. You will know when it's cooked by tasting it.)
- Making ahead - Make dressing in a jar. Dress the rice while warm so it soaks up the flavour - then it can be served at room temp. Dress everything else closer to serving time. Make sure potato is at room temp, not cold!
- Leftovers: Baby spinach does hold up better once dressed compared to other leafy greens so leftovers will be ok the next day, eg taking it to work (especially because you've got so much other "stuff" in this salad", it will distract from slightly wilted spinach).
- Nutrition for 8 servings as a side dish (serves 4 as a main).